Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I got "the Postcard"

I am so excited that I received "the Postcard." This is the form note from the Army that lets me know that Daniel has arrived safely. He isn't able to add any personal comment or information, and I don't have his address yet. Nevertheless, I am still excited to have some (any) communication from him.

The front of the postcard is addressed in his handwriting to "Mom and Dad" (not our names). This made me smile! Yes, I cried a bit too ...

The remainder of the postcard is a pre-typed military form (other than his signature at the bottom). This is what the postcard says:

"I have arrived safely at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. I am undergoing my initial processing at 43d AG Bn (RCPT) prior to beingg assigned to a unit for training. I will only be here 4 or 5 days, and then I will ship to a training company. Do not write to me at the address on this card or to the 43d AG Bn (RCPT). I will send you my mailing address within the next week when I am assigned to a training comapny. Also, I will inform you as to the date that I am graduating. Fore more information on my stay at Fort Leonard Wood, go to www.wood.army.mil/grad.

If I should be needed at home because of serious illness or death of a member of our immediate family, contact the Red Cross Chapter nearest home, explain the emergency and give them my name, rank, social security number, and military address. They will contact the Red Cross Field Director here and the Director will inform my Commanding Officer and me. This is the only way I can get an emergency leave."

Also, I noticed that the postcard is postmarked January 8. I am pleased that it arrived quickly. I am also surprised that the base was open that day since it was soooo cold that day.

In any event, I am very happy to know that he is safe and will be shipping to his unit soon (if not already). I'll let ya'll know when I have his mailing address or receive any future letters or calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment