Sunday, January 10, 2010

Church

I went to church today. Many people asked about you, and we told them about your swearing in, hearing from you on the bus to the base, and about the weather in Missouri (based on what we've heard/read on the news). I am looking forward to hearing more from you soon ... at least the postcard with your address so that I can begin writing to you directly. I went and purchased 9 cards to send to you over the next several weeks as well. Tonight, we had dinner at church as well. It was interesting because we didn't have to bring anything this time. They had lots of leftovers from several funerals in the past couple of weeks.

I hope that you got the opportunity to go to church today as well. I remember when I was in bootcamp that Sunday was one of the sanest/calmest days that we had. I also remember the church servicess being very exciting, energetic and uplifting. I hope it was the same for you! I know that you will have many opportunities to share your faith in bootcamp and beyond, and I'm sure you will be an encouragement to others. You are an amazing young man!

This weekend, Abbie picked out a new build-a-bear that she bought with her own money. This bear (actually a dog) has patriotic fur. She bought Army BDUs for it, complete with a dog tag. She named it "Bubba Dawg" and pretends like it says, "Hooah." We are trying to teach Abbie how to say "Hooah!" with gusto, but she hasn't quite caught on yet.

For those who don't know about "Hooah!" here is the best definition I've been able to find. (Perhaps you can let me know how accurate this is when you get a chance to write.)

Hooah [pronounced who-a] used by soldiers and refers to or means anything and everything exceept "no." Soldiers acknowledge a mission to be accomplished, a job well-done, or any occasion imaginable with a loud HOO-AH! It is an affirmation that the soldier fully agrees with and supports the idea or intent expressed by the person to whom the response is addressed. It applies not only to the letter of what was said but to the intent as well.

Lastly, I found the words to the "Army Song" this weekend. I was particularly impressed and smiled when I read the final verse. It fully agrees with your affirmative statement that you are "called by God" to serve in the U.S. Army:

Men in rags, Men who froze
Still that Army met its foes
And the Army went rolling along.
Faith in GOD, then we're right,
And we'll fight with all our might,
As the Army keeps rolling along.

I believe in you son! Although I haven't heard from you yet, I receive comfort knowing that you are in God's will. May God continue to bless you and keep you safe! I love you!!!

1 comment:

  1. Surely you don't write this without tears, as I cannot read it without them!

    ReplyDelete