Monday, February 22, 2010

homesick

I got my second phone call from Daniel yesterday afternoon. He called during a church dinner, but Lee and I excused ourselves and went outside to take the call. (I did share the phone call with his dad this time.) Daniel purchased a pre-paid cell phone at the PX and used it to call home. They aren't allowed to have their personal cell phones back yet. I was grateful that Daniel did this because our connection was so much better than it is on a payphone using a calling card.

They had gotten a 3-hour on base pass, and I think the guys hardly knew what to do with themselves without the drill sergeants in their faces. Most of the guys used part of their pass to get some "real food." In fact, someone even ordered a 4 FOOT PIZZA from a pizzaria on base that was shared among the guys. Daniel said that the food in the chow hall is terrible.

He had a lot information, but sadly, he was very homesick. He misses us, and of course I miss him too. Towards the end of our conversation, I could even begin hearing the tears in his voice. He knows he is in God's will, and he knows that he is doing the right thing, but I think it is harder than he thought it would be. (Unfortunately, recruiters do tend to sugarcoat the training.) All I could do was continue to encourage him. He did say that he had connected with some other Christian friends in his platoon, and I encouraged them to pray together and continue to support each other.

Daniel is not quite half done with his basic training. He has been gone for 7 weeks tomorrow, and he has about 8 1/2 weeks to go. However, in less than 3 weeks, he will officially be a SOLDIER!

I spent most of our conversation encouraging him and telling him how proud we are of him. He did ask for more pictures, so I will try to get those out to him today or tomorrow. This growing up is harder than I thought it would be.

As for the latest news from Missouri, he did say that the weather had warmed up some. He also said that he shot marksman and qualified with his rifle last week. He missed passing his PT test by only 3 pushups this time. He did enough pushups, but they weren't proper pushups. He will still get several more chances to pass. He said the hardest part so far has been the "ruck march." They marched for 5K last week carrying their packs weiging 60-85 lbs. on their backs. Today, they are going to do the same thing, except they are going 10K.

According to the drill sergeants, they are all going to go to Fort Hood and then expect to be deployed in about 3-5 months, but that it is "subject to change." I've been warned by seasoned Army parents that drill sergeants will tell the guys stuff like this to prepare them for war, but they really don't know anything about the guys next assignments and when/if they will be deployed. Daniel won't receive his actual orders until about a month before graduation. (I didn't tell Daniel this because it is important that he continue to trust his drill sergeants, and the drill sergeants certainly could be right.)

Daniel has asked for prayer for strength to pass his PT test and for personal courage to get through the training. I know he can do it!

He did tell me that he will be sending me the pictures of him in uniform this week. As soon as I receive them, I will scan them and post them for all to see. I am soooo proud of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment