Sunday, February 7, 2010

first phone call

I got my first phone call from Daniel today. I am sooooo happy to hear from him. He was only allowed to talk for about 5 minutes, but he sounded very proud and confident (and a bit hoarse). I'd been warned by many Army moms (and a few dads) that the first phone call or letter I would receive would probably be along the lines of "what did I get myself into" or "get me out of here." My conversation with Daniel this morning was nothing like that.

The most exciting news at all is that he is PLATOON GUIDE right now. (He says that being Platoon Guide is "hard work" which is why he hasn't been able to write yet.) The organization structure is such that each company is broken down into platoons (each with a platoon guide) and each platoon into squads (each with a squad leader). Daniel is the platoon guide responsible for his platoon, and he reports directly to the drill sergeants. He is allowed to delegate to the other recruits through their squad leaders, but ultimately he has to make sure that things get done within the platoon. If things don't get done, he is held responsible. I can understand where this could be very time-consuming (and, at times, frustrating). But it is also a very high privilege for his drill sergeants to give him this assignment. It shows that he has shown his drill sergeant that he has "leadership potential." I am very proud!

I did ask him about the weather, and he said it is colder than he thought it would be. He said that the did the obstacle course in 5 inches of snow. BRRRR!!! But he also said that the gas chamber "wasn't that bad."

They are in "white phase" right now, which is weapons training. He really seems to be enjoying it. I asked him if his platoon was getting "smoked" a lot, and he said, "not as much as we were the first three weeks." ("Smoked" is the term used for doing extra physical training ("PT") as a consequence of doing something wrong, or sometimes just because the drill sergeant is exerting his authority and discipline.)

Of course, I told Daniel repeatedly how proud I am of him and that I love him very much. He asked about the family, and I told him we are doing great and that we are praying for him and think about him often.

IMPORTANT: Anyone who has his address needs to know that he is in 2nd platoon -- not 3rd platoon. Also, please put a large "2" on the back of the envelope and circle it.

There is so much more I would have liked to have had the time to say to him or ask him. Unfortunately, due to time constraints and a poor connection, we weren't able to talk long. I am thrilled that I heard from him.

Please keep writing. He has gotten our letters (even though we were addressing them wrong). I know that the cards and letters are an encouragement to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment