Friday, February 12, 2010

first letter

As promised, I am posting the full content of Daniel's letter here. I'm also posting a picture of his letter. :)




Dear Mom, Dad and Abbie,

How have ya'll been?

I've been good. Red phase has been going well. The whole company has been through the gas chamber and through group training exercises and obstacle courses and have done grouping just yesterday on Saturday the 6th. Tomorrow on Monday, we are going zeroing in our weapons and on Tuesday, we are going to the first firing range to get a pin point on our weapons.

Also, yesterday my birthday wasn't that bad. I had to do eighty pushups for the letters because they said 3rd platoon and not 2nd platoon.

My first PT (physical training) test I ran 2 miles in 17:22 minutes, pushups - 29, and situps - 55. My score isn't that bad, but I need to work on it a little more.

There's a chance by the end of this week we'll be in white phase since last week we didn't do it. Since I've been the platoon guide, I've been working my rear end off to get us there this week.

The drill sergeants are not that bad either. Their names are SSG Fritch, SSG Moyer, and SSG Johnson. Our platoon motto is "We stand ready to deploy, engage the enemy of the United States in hand-to-hand combat." It came from the Soldier's Creed where it says, "I stand ready to deploy and engage the enemy of the United States of America in close combat."

I love you and hope to see you in nine weeks along with grandma.

Love, PV2 Hart, Daniel G.

P.S. Could you send some family photos and also thank Aunt Carolyn for sending the letters as well as thank all the church members. Also, who won the Super Bowl? Send the Cherry Halls.

2 comments:

  1. Heh heh...this post brings back memories. Josh would send me like 2, sometimes 3, letters a day when we were in basic, and he would ALWAYS forget to put my platoon number on the back of the envelope, so, like Daniel, I had to do 20 push-ups per letter...so, every day I was doing almost a hundred push-ups just for my mail. It's alright though, just think, it helps you max your push-ups on a PT test every time!

    ReplyDelete