Tuesday, February 2, 2010

good days and bad days

Daniel has been gone for 4 weeks today, and I still haven't heard from him. However, I am starting to have more good days than bad days with regard to how I'm handling it. Of course, I miss him all the time, but I'm not freaking out about it quite so much. I have a peace of mind that he is doing what he has been called to do, and that he is doing a good job of it. Thank you for your prayers!

Daniel will be 19 on Saturday (Feb. 6). He has overcome so much and made some wonderful choices. I don't know why I would believe that he isn't continuing to do well and continuing to make good choices.

According to information that I've been able to find only, this week at basic training, they will move into "white phase" for the next 3 weeks (hopefully). (White phase can last longer than 3 weeks if it takes them longer than that to become proficient with their weapons.) White phase is where the drill sergeants become more of an instructor and are a little less "in their face." That's not to say that they won't still be yelled at and doing more pushups than they may have thought humanly possible before they left, but the drill sergeants are beginning the process of building them back up and turning them into into United States Army Soldiers!

I've also learned two things this week with regard to Army terminology. First, Daniel is not at boot camp, he is at basic training. The US Navy has boot camp, but the training that US Army Soldiers receive is basic training, or more specifically, basic combat training. Also, I learned that Daniel is not officially a solider (yet). They become soldiers around the 9th week of basic training. At which time, they will recite the Soldier's Creed and be issued their berets (the hats that they wear with their class A dress uniforms). Until then, they are "privates" or "recruits" or *bleep* [censored]. (I've been told this is a very highly emotional day for the new Soldiers!) For those who haven't seen or heard the Soldier's Creed, this is what it says.

THE SOLDIER'S CREED
I am an American Soldier
I am a Warrior and a member of a team.
I serve the people of the United States
and live the Army Values.
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.
I am disciplined, physically and
mentally tough, trained and proficient
in my warrior tasks and drills.
I always maintain my arms,
my equipment and myself.
I am an expert and I am a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy
the enemies of the United States
of America in close combat.
I am a guardian of the freedom and
The American way of life.
I am an American Soldier.

(I could hardly even type that without tears coming to my eyes.) My plan is to break it down and comment on various phrases from the Soldier's Creed in future blogs.

Regardless of whether or not Daniel is a Soldier yet, or whether or not he is at boot camp or basic training, I am still incredibly proud of him! I know that he will continue to make good choices, and I still hope that I will hear from him soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment