Saturday, February 6, 2010

19 years ago today

19 years ago today, I gave birth to my first born. I promised to love and protect him always. I promised to teach him many things (and he has taught me many things). I was just 22 years old myself, and I didn't really know what I was doing. But I knew that I loved him, more than I even loved myself at that point in my life. What a blessing he has been (and continues to be).

Daniel has grown into an amazing young man. A young man who loves his family and loves GOD. He knows where his strength comes from, and he gives back at every opportunity. He is the most generous and thoughtful young man that I know. (Perhaps I'm just a bit biased?)

Today, I reflected on my duty and responsibility to protect my child. I am thinking about the high likelihood that he will probably go off to war in defense of our country and the freedoms that we love so much (and often take for granted). And I realize that I won't be able to always protect him. That is a hard pill to swallow. I want to protect him. I feel that I need to protect him. I wish that I could protect him. But instead, I must trust. I have to trust that he is doing exactly what God has called him to do. He has made wonderful choices to this point, and I must trust that he will continue to make great choices. I trust that the military will provide him with the equipment and training that he needs to defend our country and to remain safe in doing so. I have faith that God knows where Daniel is and what he is doing, even when I don't. And that, although I feel like no one could love Daniel as much as I do, God loves him more!

I also looked again at the Soldier's Creed. Today, the words that stuck out to me were: "I will never leave a fallen comrade." These words bring me comfort. Although I would never wish any harm to come to Daniel (or any of his comrades), I get comfort in knowing that, in the event that the unthinkable does happen, he would not be alone. The soldiers take this creed very seriously.

This brings to mind an even greater comfort which is that I know that Daniel will NEVER be alone. He is in God's will, and God will always be right by his side. And more importantly, I know that Daniel knows that.

I expect that Daniel has probably received many birthday cards. Thank ya'll for sending them. I wish that I could make him a strawberry cake or take him for a favorite meal today, but instead I just offer him my love and neverending support, as he spreads his wings and follows his dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment