Wednesday, February 17, 2010

growing up

I read a great quote from another Army Mom today: "Being cold or scared are really ok on the road to growing up. We all went through times like that and we made it!"

I never really thought about it that way. I've spent many days since Daniel left wondering ... Is he cold? Is he scared? Is he tired? Do his muscles ache from all those pushups? Will he make it? Now, after reading this other mom's quote, I realize that the answer to all of those questions at one time or another since he left is YES. But now I am turning my focus into realizing that it is okay. It is okay and yes, even good for him to be cold or scared. Life isn't always comfortable. But he will learn that he can survive and even thrive under in those difficult and scary things. And he will be even stronger for it. It is part of growing up!

I look back and remember booboos and emergency room visits. I remember toothaches, tummy aches, and sleepless nights. I remember scaring away the monsters under his bed and teaching him to say his prayers. All of this, all though it may not always be good, it is always okay, and it is part of growing up.

Daniel is turning into a man! And not just any man, but an American Soldier! It is hard to imagine my young boy in his diaper and Barney slippers now wearing camouflage and combat boots. I know that it won't always be easy, but it isn't my job to make it easy for him. It is my job to love him and encourage him whenever he falls or fails, and that I can do!

And, I guess realizing all this today is part of my growing up! I'm learning to be the mom of a Soldier!

No comments:

Post a Comment