Friday, February 5, 2010

at least now I know he is okay

Today is one month since Daniel left, and I still hadn't heard anything from him. I tried calling/emailing his recruiter and emailed the commander, but I still got no response. I just wanted to know that he is okay.

Finally, I got advice from a very seasoned Army dad on the Go Army Parents website. He suggested that I contact Daniel's unit chaplain and that the chaplain could find out what was going on for me. This dad was even able to provide me with a phone number for the chaplain's office, so I nervously dialed the number. (I certainly didn't want to cause Daniel additional hardship or trouble by "checking up on him.")

The chaplain's office was very kind and helpful. He took down my information as well as my son's information and said that he would call me back in 10 minutes. After about 12 minutes, he called. He said that he had spoken to Daniel's unit commander and confirmed that Daniel is okay -- not hurt or in any trouble. He also told me that because I had called, it was likely that the commander would get a message to Daniel that his parents were concerned about him, and he needed to call home.

Lastly, the chaplain's office told me that if I don't hear from Daniel in the next week, I can call back. He said that he has authority to request a meeting with any recruit and that he could get Daniel to come to his office and call me. Hopefully, we won't get to that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment