Monday, March 22, 2010

a poem

A friend sent me a poem today (posted below). It really fits how I have been feeling lately in light of the fact that I know that Daniel will be deploying soon. I have run the gamit of emotions while he has been at basic training, only to realize as his training is drawing to a close what all this really means.

I have missed Daniel terribly and worried about him often over the past 11 weeks. And I beam with pride about what he has accomplished. I look forward to seeing him very soon (only one month from today). I can't wait to see how handsome he looks in uniform and to see the young man that the Army has turned him into.

But then I start to think. Basic training has probably been the safest place where an 18-19 year old young man could be. He is under the strict supervision of drill sergeants and isn't permitted to get out line. Even the simple issue (such as the wrong platoon number on his incoming mail causes him to have to do pushups). Basic training is all about discipline, direction, leadership, teamwork, and learning to be safe and stay safe. They are preparing him for deployment. Even typing that word causes me to pause and tremble with fear. It is a frightening word. I worry endlessly about what that means and the dangers it entails.

But then I am reminded that Daniel truly has a great calling. I remember the story of Abraham and Isaac where Abraham was called to sacrifice his son. I think about the fear that must have been running through Abraham's mind and heart, but the fact that he trusted the LORD and was obedient. In the end, GOD did provide the sacrifice. Daniel truly has taken a similar step of faith, and I applaud him for that. As his mother, I know that I must be as Abraham was and trust GOD with my son.

Therefore, to the Army (and to all the citizens of the United States), I say today --

I Give to You, My Son

I held him as an infant; I hugged him as a boy
and through the years he has become my greatest pride and joy.

I love him more than I can say, his life more precious than my own,
but gone are the whims and notions of the little boy that I had known.

For the years have passed so quickly since the time it all began
and now he stands before me with the conviction of a man.

He wants to serve his country, he states aloud with pride
as I try to sort out the emotions that I'm feeling deep inside.

A union of uncertain fear, which I cannot control
and the allegiance which lies deep within my patriotic soul.

I trust that my years of guidance will serve as a strong foundation
as he performs the duties requested from his beloved nation.

God please guide him as he travels to the places our soldiers have bled
and walk with him through pathways where those heroes' feet have tread.

Oh Sweet Land of Liberty, humbly I give to you, my son
praying you'll return him safely home when his work for you is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment